Thank you for your interest. I don’t offer these classes in Istanbul any more. I am currently teaching Turkish cooking in Alaçatı, near Izmir. Check my new website for details.
Have seen the sights and dined at a few restaurants recommended on the Tripavisor? Now it’s time to find out what the real Istanbul, its neighborhoods and food look and taste like, it’s time to take Delicious Istanbul Cooking Class.
Hop on a ferry to the Asian side of the city and discover Turkish pantry staples at one of the best food markets in Istanbul, learn Turkish home cooking in a local home and enjoy the feast you have prepared over a chat and a glass of boutique Turkish wine.
Why Delicious Istanbul Cooking Class
- Learn about Turkish home cooking: delve beyond the kebabs and baklava that Turkish cuisine might be known for, but it is not what Turks cook and eat at home daily; Turkish home cooking is seasonal, vegetable-based, does not vow you with the lavish use of spices, but still features bold flavors and wholesome dishes
- Explore local ingredients: get to know seasonal produce and Turkish pantry staples as well as their traditional use;
- Learn secrets of Turkish home cooks: dive into the wisdoms collected throughout Turkey and pick up new fun techniques for your own cooking repertoire;
- Get great tips on Istanbul restaurants and food shopping: ask for tips on dining and food shopping in Istanbul
Delicious Istanbul Cooking Class Program
- Touring a food market on the Asian side of Istanbul: visiting a fishmonger/butcher, greengrocer, pickle and olive oil vendor, then a spice shop to examine their stalls; sitting down for a fine cup of Turkish coffee at a local coffee roaster and having a piece of baklava at a small shop which beats many big names
- Taking a brief ride on the historic tram around Moda, a picturesque historic neighborhood
- Cooking lunch of three starters, main course and dessert and enjoying it over Turkish wine at a local home
Delicious Istanbul Cooking Class Practical Information
- Time: We meet at 9.30 am and done at about 4 pm
- Cost: US$125 per person
- What’s included: Tastings at the market, tram ride, class and lunch with wine.
- Maximum capacity: 6 people
- Where class starts: In Kadıköy on the Asian side of Istanbul. Exact location provided when booking is confirmed.
- Where class finishes: At Olga’s kitchen.
- Class setup: Our classes are hands-on: expect to roll up your sleeves. We cook like one typically does at a Turkish kitchen: preparation of every dish is always a shared effort.
- Menu: Menu typically includes 3 starters, main course and dessert. Menu changes every time and is subject to the season and interest of the participants .
- Recipes: Recipes (diligently tested and including detailed directions) for all the dishes from the cooking class are emailed within a week after the class.
- Special requirements: Our cooking classes do not require special skills – your enthusiasm is a key ingredient for a delicious meal and a good time.
Delicious Istanbul Cooking Class is Right For You If You..
- Appreciate that we use primarily organic produce, eggs and dairy as well as artisanally made cooking condiments
- Keen to learn about the wholesome food Turkish people eat at home
- Realize that each crop has its season: we don’t cook with eggplant in winter or with pomegranate in spring
- Ready to chop, peel and trim over a chat with the fellow cooks: Turkish cooking assumes extensive preparation and less time near the stove.
What Customers Say About Delicious Istanbul Cooking Class
“..absolutely great day .. highlight of our trip to Istanbul. Not only is Olga an amazing cook and someone who is very passionate about food, but she’s also a great resource about Istanbul and other cultures. If you’re looking to get a real sense of the culture and food in Turkey, and don’t want to get stuck at another tourist trap, this is a must!!” – Andy, US
“My expectations were high – and have been exceeded! Olga had a wonderful way to cope with our 1001 questions. I learned a great deal about Turkish food and its preparation, Turkish history and today’s life… what a wonderful day!” – Bettina, Belgium
“She was very organized .. We all had cooking tasks and we were exposed to new products, cooking techniques and recipes. We cooked with Olga like we’ve known her for years” – Terry & Ann, US
“The cooking class was held at her house in a wonderful easy-going atmosphere, with little pressure but a lot of guidance, and somehow at the end of it all we ended up with an excellent meal, accompanied by a well-chosen Turkish wine” – Oksana, US
“Strolling about the local market in Kadıköy with Olga to get the best and freshest things for the cooking class is the perfect intro to what will await you once it comes to preparing the Turkish dishes.. For us Olga turned out to be the missing link that managed to make the difference between the tourist and the traveler”- Ina, Germany